Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Donate your clothes

Keep clothes out of the landfill! Okay, that was my attempt to connect this to environmental concerns. I know you probably aren't about to just throw away clothes. In all seriousness, though, if you don't wear something anymore (in my case, jeans that I'm finally accepting as too small for me), it would be nice to donate it to someone who actually will wear it. Keep clothes in circulation or whatnot instead of molding in your closet. So anyway, before you return to campus, dig around for jeans or old prom-type dresses and accessories. You can bring them back to school and donate to these projects:

1. Teens for Jeans


Email me (aprovo@wesleyan.edu) if you want to participate or have questions. I'll probably put a box somewhere once we get back to campus. If you don't want to go through me, you can also take the jeans there yourself (you get 20% off toward a new pair of jeans).

2. Princess Project (see here and here for official websites)
From Anna Pratt '08:

From January 20th-Mid February, I'll be collecting dress and accessory donations to give to an organization based out of San Francisco called the Princess Project. They collect old prom dresses and accessories and give them to high school students who can't afford to buy their own.

I'll be sending the dresses to their branch in Windsor (near Hartford) so that area students can have them.

So, if you'd like to donate, gather up all of your old dresses (they accept formal gowns, cocktail dress, bridesmaids dresses, and anything that's nice) and accessories (purses,jewelry, wraps, shawls) and I can pick them up once you get back to Wesleyan or you can give them to me at Fauver apts 307.

There are a few guidelines for the dresses that the organization has in order to ensure they're in good condition:
  • They must be in good condition (no rips, stains, etc)
  • They must be dry-cleaned
  • They should be from 2002 or after (so that they're not really out of style)
Contact me with any questions: ajcpratt@gmail.com

No comments: