Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Aurora's Kleenex-busting campaign

Sorry, bad title. But yay Aurora, who is working hard to rid our campus of Kimberly Clark products. In case you didn't know, the manufacturer of Kleenex tissues, "the Kimberly-Clark corporation, has been unwilling to improve its practices, continuing to rely on paper and pulp made from clearcut ancient forest including Canada’s Boreal forest." (that's from Kleercut.net) This is bad.
Here's the deal so far:
So far, Gina Yeomans and I wrote a proposal for Intro to Environmental Studies about divesting from K-C, submitted it to Weshop, and they are so cooperative - when we got back from break they were gone! We have alternative products, and we did before anyway. Next step : I am currently in touch with a Greenpeace rep, and she helped me find companies that make alternative products for replacing our public facilities and dormitories' paper products! I am meeting with purchasing and waste committee representatives (the facilities managers are on waste) about this. Today I gave them info on K-C's sustainable and unsustainable practices, policies, etc. There is a CNN Money article "Chain of Lies" about K-C misleading the public, etc. We have a contract with K-C, and I haven't heard back about when it expires.. but Jeff Miller upgraded our products, although still K-C, to those with the highest recycled fiber content. I also interviewed with some random online reporter/journalist for Inside Higher Ed about the work on campus. I keep getting random calls from people like that and students at other universities - Berkeley this week - for advice and alternative products.
I couldn't find the CNN article, but here is an Argus article about Aurora and Gina's work, here's a Greenpeace blog entry about it, and here's a blurb on the Kleercut website.

Also, here's a video of undercover Greenpeace reps sabotaging a Kleenex commercial. It's from last March (we posted about it but I really like embedding videos so I'm putting it here, too).


If you're interested in this issue, want to get involved, whatever, email weseon@gmail.com.

EDIT: here's the CNN article (from 2006, which is TWO YEARS AGO?! what.)

No comments: