Thursday, October 4, 2007

Are you ready to commit? (for real this time)

After some revision to make it more inclusive, here it is!

The Wesleyan Community Climate Commitment

In recognition of the global climate crisis, I strongly support President Roth's signing of the Presidents Climate Commitment, which commits Wesleyan do drafting and carrying out a concrete plan to reduce our environmental impact with the ultimate goal of climate neutrality. Whereas said document recognizes institutional responsibility, I affirm my personal responsibility to reduce my impact. As a member of the Wesleyan community, I pledge to live more sustainably at Wesleyan and at home, by committing (but not limiting) myself to at least five of the following actions:
  • I will shut off all lights, appliances, and computers when they are not in use.
  • I will reduce my consumption of bottled water by drinking tap water and using refillable bottles.
  • I will try to wash 90% of clothes in cold water (Bright Colors setting on campus laundry machines).
  • I will close all windows when buildings are being heated or cooled.
  • I will report to Physical Plant any inefficiencies in my Wesleyan residence, office, or workplace (such as dripping faucets, cracks in windows, overheating, etc.).
  • I will conserve water by taking shorter showers and turn off water while brushing my teeth, washing my face, shaving, or washing dishes.
  • I will replace incandescent light bulbs with CFL bulbs, provided for free by Project Save.
  • I will recycle all recyclable products, including paper, 1 and 2 plastics, milk and juice containers, CFL light bulbs, CDs, batteries, cardboard, metal, and glass.
  • I will reduce my gasoline use by walking, biking, or carpooling whenever possible, and driving more slowly to maximize gasoline efficiency.
  • I will avoid using bags or dispoable cups whenever possible, but rather bring my own bags and mugs to grocery stores and cafes, especially on campus.
  • I will buy food produced locally to reduce the impact of shipping foodstuffs around the world.
  • I will buy CO2 offset credits when I travel by airplane.
So there you go! The goal is to encourage President Roth to make institutional change and sign the President's Climate Commitment by showing him our personal commitment. So it's a combination pledge and petition.

When/Where to sign: THIS WEEK and some of NEXT WEEK at USDAN at LUNCH AND DINNER...

No comments: